3

Day 1: 4 Mistakes

Let me preface this post by explaining one of my biggest goals for the week: produce no more garbage throughout the week than what can fit in a one-gallon ziplock bag. Each day I’ll do an update of how full the bag is.

Mistake #1: After I washed my hands this morning, I instinctively reached for the paper towel and didn’t remember that it was NI week until my hands were sufficiently dried and the paper towel was very used… oops. Can a paper towel, if dried, be recycled? or composted?

Mistake #2: Later, as I was making a salad for my lunch, I was stuck wondering what I should do with the skin and pit of the avocado I used. On one hand, I didn’t want to carry around the remains in my plastic trash bag that I planned to keep with me all day for the next week, on the other hand, it was still waste. I justified throwing it away because I heard biodegradable products in landfills help break down products that are much slower to biodegrade… is that true? I don’t know. Future food scraps with me brought to Dr. Aguilar to add to her compost pile.

Mistake #3: For the second time this year I went into the dining hall to eat my salad because I wanted to sit with friends. As I sat down, I consciously did not reach for a napkin. Then, when I was walking down the stairs to leave the dining hall I realized I had a paper napkin in my hand that I had absolutely no memory of picking up but apparently I did.

Mistake #4: WHY DO COMPANIES STUFF ORDER SHIPMENTS WITH APROX. 40 POUNDS OF BUBLE WRAP FOR ITEMS THAT AREN’T EVEN FRAGILE?

This week is off to an interesting start.

Current contents of my trash bag: 1 bubble wrap pouch that came in a package I ordered, one paper/tin chocolate bar wrapper (oops…). (Both paper napkins/towels can be composted).

northr_j1

1. You can also re-use the paper towel once it has dried….since you asked! And yes, these are the pitfalls of the week. Good luck with tomorrow!

2. In the 1st floor Smith bathroom there are no paper towel dispensers. While during every other week of the semester this has been something of an inconvenience, I am thankful that for this week I do not have the temptation, let alone option, of grabbing a paper towel after I wash my hands.

3. I had the exact same issue with both the napkin and paper towel!!! The dining halls make it so easy to just grab a napkin without thinking.