3

Day 3 blog: Mary

Today has been a strong 4/10 both on my no impact eff0rts and just the quality of my day.

First of all, I was already stressed out as I woke up because I knew I had so much stuff to do today. Not off to a good start. I knew I was gonna have to drive to and from Newark to do a project. And how long did that project last? almost 5. hours. I’m writing this now that I just got back and I’m completely exhausted.

A lot of the things I’ve done today were out of my control, like the driving part. And most of my day was planned out because I knew I was gonna have 5 hours of my day taken out by this project. I knew I wasn’t gonna be able to eat dinner in a dining hall, so I took a lot of (individually packed) snacks from my room to the studio where my project was. so much waste. And when I got home, I treated myself to my one allotted slayter meal of the week: a veggie wrap and fries. I don’t think I even missed slayter food that much because I’ve been getting so used to dining hall food. It wasn’t even that good. and I didn’t finish it. that made me feel guilty on top of how bad my day has been going.

But there were a couple positives throughout all this. I’ve refilled my water bottle at least three times, and I still haven’t bought any disposable plastic bottles this week. I took the stairs up to the 4th floor of slayter today and everywhere else I’ve been. Barely any paper products used today other than my single napkin at every meal. I drank two cups of peppermint tea, and I’ll compost the tea bags tomorrow in class. It has me thinking about how that was Colin’s hot drink of choice during the project. I never used to like it, but this week I’ve been drinking quite a lot of it.

After reading some other blogs this week, I feel like I haven’t been trying nearly as hard as other people have. I’ve been trying though. and I think that’s all I can do.

Another short shower will come tonight, then hopefully tomorrow will be better.

kosin_m1

1. Tough day I had one too. Being no impact definitely makes life harder and its the little things that you take for granted that get to be annoying. Better luck tomorrow!

2. Mary- Everyone’s goals will be different. If you are going out of your comfort level to try to have less impact, that is something. As I said in class, it’s figuring out what you can and can’t do that becomes exciting. And you just made me realize I left the compost in the middle of the classroom. I really hope it’s not gone in the morning. 🙁

3. Don’t get discouraged! The tea is a great step in the right direction, and so is the lack of plastic bottle usage. Push through to the end of the week!