2

Day 3: What do you want for Christmas?

I had to use a few paper towels today in the kitchen today. I’ve noticed that paper towels are probably my biggest source of waste. As we wrap up the next two days and beyond, I want to start exploring ways that I can cut down on my use towels. Though I am bummed that I had to use several paper towels today, it is empowering to know what I consume too much of and that there are exciting options to cut back on them.

Also, I know not everyone celebrates Christmas but is anyone else struggling with relatives calling you and asking, “What do you want for Christmas?” This whole experience has turned me off to the season of giving… On the bright side, my family does a themed gift exchange every year and this year I convinced everyone that the theme should be handmade/local so hopefully, there will be less waste. Usually, its just garbage gifts wrapped in garbage wrapping paper.

northr_j1

1. I think the idea of handmade gifts is great! My all time favorite Christmas gift was a SUP/whale watching combo in Hawaii. I actually cried when I got it. Other great gifts I’ve received have been second hand from Craig’s list: bike, tent, composters. Also, I keep asking for breakfast in bed (but sadly have never gotten this).

2. My mom today asked me the same question, “What do you want for Christmas?” And I had the same mental head game. I am hopeful to keep habits of No Impact in my daily life, but its Christmas…. so tough.