1

Final Day Blog: Mary

Whew, last day done! I can say with confidence that I finished the week off strong.

Three things worth noting happened on this final day:

Two of my friends invited me out to lunch at Panera today. We all carpooled there which is fine, but then I had to deal with all the waste that came along with my meal: a paper bag and a chip bag. I was dead set on bringing my water bottle with me there but I found out when we got there that I forgot it at school. So because of that I just didn’t drink anything during my meal. Though there was carbon emissions and waste involved, I felt as if this was my reward for completing no impact week.

Next: I went to a talk in Talbot this afternoon because I wanted to get out of my room and actually be engaged than be on my computer or phone. So I went, and they had refreshments. On reusable plates!!! I jumped for joy and gladly took a nice serving of cheese and crackers. Those ceramic plates were really a boost after my Panera run from earlier.

Finally: after getting out early from my 9:30 class I went up to the 4th floor of slayter (using the stairs of course). After sitting on my computer doing nothing for a while I thought to myself “you know what? you need to get off your ass and make connections with humans instead of doing this right now.” Without much convincing, I did just that — I marched over to Barney Davis, walked into Dr. Spieles’ office, introduced myself (since I’m in his class next semester) and talked with him for a bit. It was really nice and I’m proud that I did that.

In the future I definitely want to make more of an effort to avoid being on my phone and laptop in my downtime and actually converse with people. There are so many things to do on this campus and so many people to talk to and I want to make the most of it. That being said, I also plan to continue a few of these habits after today. My biggest goals being: take shorter showers, don’t use paper towels, and don’t overuse the lights.

kosin_m1

1. I also feel that after NI week I will be using my phone less. It was nice to put it down and talk with a lot of my peers. I spend a decent amount of my time watching Netflix or some sort of phone activity and I think if I did that less I would have a more productive day!