0

The Female “Uh-Oh”

The CWGA office has been buzzing these past few weeks in preparation for the “I ❤ Female Orgasm” event that took place last Wednesday! Our staff had so much fun planning it and we hope the students here on campus enjoyed attending the event as much as we did.

I wasn’t privy to what “The Female O” was all about until last year. But when I went, I loved it, and am now glad that I am in the position to be the one working to promote something I thoroughly enjoy. However, the reaction I had last year, compared to some of the reactions I got this year as one of the event coordinators, differed a lot. While I reacted in a simultaneously confused and intrigued manner when I first heard about the event, some of the reactions I received when promoting the event included shock and discomfort.

My thing is, why is an event like the Female O, which uses humor to discuss a truly important topic, being written off? The weirded-out looks people gave simply from me offering them a button or an advertisement at the Involvement Fair were a bit troubling. I almost wanted to scream, “People, it’s 2015! Women are taking control of their bodies! Women can openly express and enjoy sexual encounters, too! Get over yourselves!”…and maybe at some point I did (in intimate conversations with like-minded people, of course), but I have to understand (sigh) that people may not have received exposure to nonjudgmental frames of mind about these topics. Approaching female sexuality in such an open and positive way might have been a new experience for them.

It wasn’t so much that I didn’t like their reactions, but more so that I had a difficult time understanding why they were reacting the way they were. Perhaps they had been exposed to a society giving the message that, for the most part, women aren’t supposed to discuss sex openly or be as proud of it as men are (“unless it’s with their husbands”). With no positive messages to counterbalance these negative ones, how could they possibly understand or accept what the Female O was trying to accomplish?”

I support the Female O and the way they included different gender identities and sexual preferences across the spectrum within their presentation. I just hope that others will learn to be more accepting and willing to take the steps to educate themselves on the subject, and understand that women’s sexuality is just as important as any man’s.

Now, don’t get me wrong, based on the turnout there were definitely people who were welcoming to the cause and its good intentions—I don’t discredit that at all, and I understand that everything has exceptions. Something that made me happy was seeing people in the audience, who originally seemed reluctant to attend, thoroughly enjoying the program! Hopefully, this same kind of openness and change of heart and/or mind can become more universal, making “The Female O” and other events like it easier to accept.

Kalyn Dunkins