Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

I taught my first college-level math class in the early 1990s – the era with only three major television networks and “Must See TV” (already, I may have lost some of you). To connect with my mostly white, suburban, Mid-West students, I would reference one of my favorite shows, Seinfeld. Catchphrases like “Get out,” “Giddyup!” and “Hello, Newman” would often elicit laughs from my students, as well as references to Festivus, Bosco, and Yo-yo Ma.

As time went on, student viewing habits and interests changed, but much like a middle-aged man with his wardrobe, I was stuck in this era. Starting at Denison in the early aughts, I was still referencing a show that ended in 1998 – “I was living in the past, man!” I was relieved when in 2005, NBC picked up a popular British show that featured Steve Carell, a Denison grad! I had a new reference point to connect with my class. Or did I?

Although I convinced myself that all Denison students would be interested in The Office and that making Office references in class would make me seem hip and relevant, this was not the case. Sure, a small segment of students was into it (I found a stapler encased in Jell-O on my desk), but the majority just smiled and nodded and tolerated my unproductive asides.

Unfortunately, jokes and cultural references can be more than awkward gaffes—they can contribute to a problematic classroom atmosphere. To create an inclusive environment, experts recommend we “avoid using jokes, slang, and jargon that require cultural background knowledge. Speak or write clearly and avoid irony, sarcasm, and other kinds of communication that rely on tone and nuance for meaning” (see Considering Language When Creating Inclusive Learning Environments). 

As someone with a dry, sarcastic sense of humor, I don’t find that this comes easily. I must be mindful of my phrasing, and if I do slip into sarcasm or irony, remind my students that I am only joking, or better yet, point out my weak attempts at humor. I find that self-deprecation can be disarming. 

How do I connect with my students in 2022? I turn things over to them:

1. On a Friday, I create a class word cloud in Poll Everywhere to the question, “Three words that described my week.”
  2. On a Monday, I have students share with their near neighbor, “What are you most excited about for the week ahead?”
  3. On a random day, I have students share with their near neighbor, “Would you rather have the power of telekinesis or telepathy?” (Of course, I can’t avoid a Jedi reference here and there.)

While my initial attempt at connecting with my class was well-intentioned, it was problematic. There was nothing wrong with my objective, but I didn’t take the right approach. By staying vigilant about my use of irony and sarcasm and using activities that allow all students to connect, I strive to create a more inclusive class and build a more robust class community. Something that benefits everyone. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Upside:
Creates a more inclusive classroom
Strengthens classroom community

Downside:
I miss having the opportunity to make lame jokes that make me laugh. 🙂

Still learning from my misstakes mistakes…