Tidbit: Students mental health and emotional contagion

Faculty members have shared that they are feeling the strain of their students’ mental health issues. Whether it’s a request for an extension or an e-mail apologizing for missing class because they’ve got “stuff going on.” In Professors Struggle With Demands to Tend to Students’ Mental Health, Kelly Field gives a realistic assessment of what faculty are facing, particularly this time of year.

I am juxtaposing the Field article with They Need Us to Be Well, an article from the Chronicle last May. This article discusses the powerful full effect of emotional contagion – the phenomenon where one person’s emotions and related behaviors directly trigger similar emotions and behaviors in other people – in our teaching. I’ve experienced this phenomenon so much in my teaching. This semester, I am teaching at 3:00 for the first time. Even though I am more of a morning person, the students give me a needed boost and help me end the day on a high note. Yes, emotional contagion can go both ways. 

As we head into the winter break, the Chronicle article suggests that we need to get some rest to refuel. It also provides some ways to build excitement and satisfaction into your courses, not only for your students but also for yourself.