International Faculty Series: Leksa Lee

Written by Ellie Reiser & Leksa Lee

Here at Denison, our faculty have a wide range of lived experiences and perspectives. We’d love to highlight this by introducing our new series of International Faculty features!

Dr. Lee visits the Port of Shanghai

Meet Leksa Lee! Dr. Lee is an anthropologist and an Assistant Professor of Global Commerce. She earned a B.A. from Duke University and a M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of California Irvine. Her research is focused on the rise of China, postsocialist capitalism, and the design of the built environment. When asked what she’d like to share with students, this is what she had to say: 

“I’ve lived in China 8 years, including study abroad, internship, for-profit work, research, and teaching at a university–basically everything! One of my favorite things to do in China is grab some delicious street food (savory crepe jianbing is my favorite) and take a long walk through the city streets, seeing where roads go and what people are up to.

I’ve had all my most memorable experiences outside my comfort zone. You have to push past the nerves. If I hadn’t gone alone to a remote Tibetan village and lived there for a month with a family, I would never have had the experience of hiking in the Himalayas with my host sisters!”

Dr. Lee is teaching a Global Chinese Language Partners class next Fall! For this class, Chinese native speakers and Chinese learners will be matched in language partner pairs. In class once a week, language partners will practice basic spoken Chinese for half an hour, and then advanced colloquial English for half an hour. There will be two evening dinner+culture activities, such as Hot Pot Night and KTV night. If interested, please email Dr. Lee 1 paragraph explaining why you want to join by April 12th. Her email is leel@denison.edu